National News

Gujarat makes Aadhaar card mandatory for students appearing for board exams

In the Rajya Sabha, the Opposition protested loudly against making the UID scheme compulsory for those wanting to avail of government benefits.

The Gujarat Secondary and Higher Secondary Education Board passed a government resolution on Wednesday, making the Aadhaar card compulsory for Class 10 and 12 students appearing for their final exams. Officials said students who do not have a Unique Identification Number will not be allowed to fill up their board examination forms, reported the Times of India.

State board examination secretary RI Patel said, “This will also apply to students submitting examination forms in September this year. As 80% of students already have Adhaar cards, it will only be the remaining 20% who have to get it made.” The board has also asked schools to hold camps for students who do not have Aadhaar cards.

However, the rule is only for state board students, not those private and open-board candidates.

According to Patel, the step has been introduced to facilitate scholarships. However, Deputy Chairperson RR Thakkar believes this will help create a transparent and authentic database and promote the Centre's Aadhaar Card scheme, reported The Indian Express.

Rajya Sabha adjourned over Aadhaar card issue

Meanwhile, the Opposition on Thursday disrupted Rajya Sabha proceedings and forced adjournment to protest against making the Aadhaar card mandatory for those who want to avail of government benefits such as subsidised LPG, ration supplies and pensions.

Union Minister for Urban Development M Venkaiah Naidu said the government will take note of the concerns and the Aadhaar card will only be made mandatory after the entire population gets it. “It [Aadhaar card] is not compulsory. If necessary, necessary instructions will be issued," The Hindu quoted him as saying.

Support our journalism by paying for Scroll+ here. We welcome your comments at
Sponsored Content BY 

Some of the most significant innovations in automotive history made their debut in this iconic automobile

The latest version features India's first BS VI norms-compliant engine and a host of 'intelligent' features.

The S-Class, also known as Sonderklasse or special class, represents Mercedes Benz’ top-of-the-line sedan line up. Over the decades, this line of luxury vehicles has brought significant automotive technologies to the mainstream, with several firsts to its credit and has often been called the best car in the world. It’s in the S-Class that the first electronic ESP and ABS anti-lock braking system made their debut in the 20th century.

Twenty first-century driver assistance technologies which predict driver-behaviour and the vehicle’s course in order to take preventive safety measures are also now a staple of the S-Class. In the latest 2018 S-Class, the S 350 d, a 360-degree network of cameras, radars and other sensors communicate with each other for an ‘intelligent’ driving experience.

The new S-Class systems are built on Mercedes Benz’s cutting-edge radar-based driving assistance features, and also make use of map and navigation data to calculate driving behaviour. In cities and on other crowded roads, the Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC helps maintain the distance between car and the vehicle in front during speeds of up to 210 kmph. In the same speed range, Active Steering Assist helps the driver stay in the centre of the lane on stretches of straight road and on slight bends. Blind Spot Assist, meanwhile, makes up for human limitations by indicating vehicles present in the blind spot during a lane change. The new S-Class also communicates with other cars equipped with the Car-to-X communication system about dicey road conditions and low visibility due to fog, rain, accidents etc. en route.

The new S-Class can even automatically engage the emergency system when the driver is unable to raise an alarm. Active Emergency Stop Assist brings the car to a stop if it detects sustained periods of inactivity from the driver when Active Steering Assist is switched on. If the driver doesn’t respond to repeated visual and audible prompts, it automatically activates the emergency call system and unlocks the car to provide access to first responders.

The new Mercedes-Benz S 350 d in India features another notable innovation – the country’s first BS VI norms-compliant car engine, in accordance with government regulations to control vehicular pollution. Debuting two years before the BS VI deadline of 2020, the S 350 d engine also remains compatible with the current BS IV fuels.

The S 350 d is an intelligent car made in India, for Indian roads - in the Mercedes Benz S-Class tradition. See the video below to know what drives the S-Class series by Mercedes Benz.

To know more about the 2018 S-Class, click here.


This article was produced by the Scroll marketing team on behalf of Mercedes Benz and not by the Scroll editorial team.