Ministry of Women & Child Development receives the ‘Best Performing Social Sector Ministry’ SKOCH Award
- SKOCH has conferred the ‘Best performing Social Sector Ministry’ award on the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- The Ministry received the awards for its significant achievements and initiatives from the last 4 years.
- The ministry’s flagship schemes such as Beti Bachao Beti Padhao has achieved huge success within a short period of time.
- Earlier in the month of June, the foundation of the Sakhi Suraksha Advanced DNA Forensic Laboratory was laid in Chandigarh, and 5 more advanced forensic labs are expected to be set up in Guwahati, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Pune and Bhopal.
- In addition, the ministry will provide special forensic kits for rape cases to all police stations and hospitals, the funds for which will be provided from the Nirbhaya Fund.
Arijit Basu appointed SBI’s new Managing Director
- The government has appointed Arijit Basu as Managing Director (MD) of the country’s largest lender State Bank of India.
- Basu will take up the position left vacant following the elevation of Rajnish Kumar to the post of chairman.
- Arijit Basu will settle in as MD with effect from the date of taking over charge till his superannuation in October 2020.
- Basu has previously served as managing director of SBI Life Insurance.
Global hunger on rise again, driven by conflict and climate change: UN report
- The number of people hungry around the world has gone up for the first time in more than a decade, according to a new United Nations report.
- Approximately 815 million people were hungry last year – an increase of 38 million from the previous year – affecting around 11% of the world’s population.
- The report was launched in Rome, and is the first UN global assessment on food security and nutrition to be released following the adoption of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development aims to end hunger and all forms of malnutrition by 2030.
Russia to supply technical security equipment to India
- A subsidiary (Nikiret) of Russian state atomic energy corporation Rosatom has signed an agreement with Indian engineering services firm Core Energy Systems Pvt Ltd for the promotion of its technical security equipment in India.
- An outcome of the partnership is developing security systems and solutions for the defense sector.
- It is also expected to benefit other strategic installations such as nuclear, oil and gas in India.
- The partnership between Nikiret and Core will also explore opportunities in the Indian government’s Comprehensive Integrated Border Management System (CIBMS) project.
CEMS sets up first-of-their-kind labs in Mumbai and Vizag
- The Centre of Excellence in Maritime & Shipbuilding (CEMS) will set up 24 labs (6 in Mumbai and 18 in Vizag) with the First-of-its-kind infrastructure in the Asia Pacific region.
- The CEMS is a well-funded start-up in skill development for the maritime and shipbuilding sector.
- The labs being set up include ones for study in the field of Advance Manufacturing, Hull Design, Automation, Advance Machine & Robotics, Virtual Reality and many others.
On President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cuba, India and Cuba sign 2 MoUs
- India and Cuba have signed two MoUs – one on Traditional Medicine and Homeopathy, and the other on Biotechnology.
- The agreements were reached after talks between President Ram Nath Kovind and his Cuban counterpart Miguel Mario Díaz-Canel in Havana.
- At the meeting, Cuba reiterated its support to India’s candidature for a permanent seat in UN Security Council.
More on Current Affairs
To stay up to date with current affairs and to test your general knowledge, check out our latest Current Affairs quiz.