Current Affairs wrap for the day: December 25th 2018
Get all the big national and international news and stay up to date with Current Affairs and General Knowledge to prepare for competitive exams.
Support our journalism by subscribing to Scroll+
We welcome your comments at
Assam’s Bogibeel Bridge opens today
- The Bogibeel Bridge in Assam has a two-line railway track on the lower deck and a three-lane road on the top deck. It will reduce the Delhi to Dibrugarh train travel time by about three hours.
- Foundation stone for Assam’s Bogibeel Bridge was laid in 1997, it is billed as India’s longest railroad bridge. The five-kilometre structure spans the waters of the mighty Brahmaputra River.
- Designed like a bridge that links Sweden and Denmark, the Bogibeel Bridge is India’s only fully-welded bridge for which European codes and welding standards were followed.
Biting Cold and Pollution Force Delhi’s Homeless into Shelters
- Delhi on Sunday recorded its lowest morning temperature in four years at 3.7 degrees celsius.
- Under the supervision of a Supreme Court-monitored committee, the Delhi government has developed an organised system of night shelters over the last five years.
- There are now 248 night shelters in the national capital. Of these, 83 operate out of permanent buildings, 115 from porta-cabins while 50 run from European style fireproof tents.
Indonesia searches for tsunami victims; death toll hits 373
- The death toll from a volcano-triggered tsunami in Indonesia has risen to 373, with more than 1,400 people injured, the national disaster agency said.
Tibet: More than 2,100 people evacuated after 5.8-magnitude earthquake
- More than 2,100 people were evacuated after a 5.8-magnitude earthquake struck Tibet early on Monday, Xinhua reported.
- No casualties have been reported so far. Rural houses and livestock sheds were damaged, according to the county’s publicity department.