Asaduddin Owaisi rejects Z security cover given to him a day after firing on his car in UP
The Hyderabad MP asked why no case under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act was filed against the attackers.
All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen President Asauddin Owaisi on Friday rejected the Z category security cover offered by the Ministry of Home Affairs, a day after shots were fired at his car in Uttar Pradesh.
The Z category is the second-highest level of security cover. A person with Z category protection will be provided proximate security cover by armed commandos of the Central Reserve Police Force.
Turning down the Centre’s offer, Owaisi while speaking in the Lok Sabha on Friday said, “Treat me like ‘A’ class citizen, don’t give me ‘Z’ class security. The public of Uttar Pradesh will answer people who shoot with ballots and will respond to hate with love.”
The Hyderabad MP asked why no case under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, or UAPA, was filed against those who fired at him. “I want to live, to speak,” he told the House. “My life will be safe when the poor are safe. I will not get scared of those who shot at my car.”
He also urged the government to end radicalisation in the country. “I’ve asked this in Parliament in 2015, to establish a de-radicalisation group for all religions,” he said, ANI reported. “Radicalisation killed Mahatma Gandhi, our two former prime ministers and many other leaders.”
On Thursday, Owaisi had said that two people fired three to four rounds of bullets at his vehicle in Hapur city. No one was injured in the attack.
Two persons identified as Sachin and Shubham were arrested subsequently. While Sachin reportedly has an attempt to murder case against him, Shubham does not have any criminal record.
Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Prashant Kumar on Friday said that the attackers were “hurt by MP Owaisi’s statements on a particular religion”, ANI reported.
“There was also displeasure over his comments on Ram Janmabhoomi,” Kumar said, according to India Today. However, it was not clear which remarks he was referring to.
Hapur Superintendent of Police Deepak Bhuker said that the two arrested persons were sent to 14-day judicial custody, ANI reported.
The police have also recovered countrymade pistols from them and were now looking to find the people who sold the accused persons firearms.
The attack took place while Owaisi was returning to New Delhi after campaigning in Meerut. Uttar Pradesh will vote in seven phases, starting from February 10. The results will be out on March 10.
Owaisi had earlier asked the Election Commission to order an independent inquiry and said it was the responsibility of the Uttar Pradesh and Central government to conduct an investigation.
Meanwhile, Union Home Minister Amit Shah will give a detailed reply in Parliament on February 7 about the attack on Owaisi, ANI reported.