The big news: Narendra Modi commends students’ contribution to ISRO, and 9 other top stories
Manish Sisodia and 52 AAP MLAs were detained and later released by the Delhi Police, and Iraqi troops regained control of Fallujah city from the Islamic State.
A look at the headlines right now:
1. In his Mann Ki Baat address, Narendra Modi hailed democracy in India: The prime minister also congratulated students who contributed to ISRO’s launch of 20 satellites and commended International Yoga Day celebrations.
2. Manish Sisodia, 52 AAP MLAs stopped by police during march to Narendra Modi’s official home: Accused of misconduct at the Ghazipur vegetable market, the Delhi deputy chief minister had said he will ‘surrender’ before the charges are misused against him.
3. Iraqi forces retake Fallujah from Islamic State militants: Troops gained control of the city’s Jolan area, which was the terror outfit’s last stronghold in Fallujah, located 50 km west of Baghdad, a spokesperson said.
4. Pampore attack was aimed at ‘subverting peace’ in Jammu and Kashmir, says Mehbooba Mufti: The chief minister and other leaders paid homage to the eight CRPF jawans who were killed on Saturday by alleged Lashkar-e-Taiba operatives.
5. Three more Indian athletes qualify for Rio Olympics: Long jumper Ankit Sharma, sprinter Srabani Nanda and archer Atanu Das will all represent India in the Games in August.
6. Suspended from tennis, Maria Sharapova says she’s off to Harvard Business School: The Russian tennis player put up a photo on her Facebook page, in which she is seen standing beside a sign for the leading university.
7. European Union calls for quick Brexit, Britain seeks more time: The political and economic effects of the referendum on June 23 were felt the world over.
8. 250 booked in Punjab town after tension escalates over torn pages of the Quran: The mob allegedly attacked the property of an Akali Dal MLA, but the Congress claimed they were fired at by her security staff unprovoked.
9. Prince’s guitar and a lock of David Bowie’s hair auctioned for more than $150,000: While the Yellow Cloud guitar, believed to be one of Prince’s favourites, was bought for $137,500, Bowie’s hair fetched $18,750.
10. Emergency in Delhi, says Arvind Kejriwal after police arrest AAP MLA during press conference: Dinesh Mohaniya, the vice chairman of the Delhi Jal Board, was accused of misbehaving with a group of women who had complained of water problems.