The big news: Rajnath Singh calls atrocities against Dalits a social evil, and 9 other top stories
Sushma Swaraj said India will not sign NPT, will continue engaging with China for NSG, and BJP leader said Mayawati is 'worse than a prostitute'.
A look at the headlines right now:
- Rajnath Singh condemns assault on Dalit men skinning cow in Gujarat: The home minister in Parliament said the incident in Una was ‘unfortunate’ and that atrocities against Dalits were a ‘social evil’.
- India will not sign NPT, will continue engaging with China for NSG membership, says Sushma Swaraj: At a Lok Sabha debate during the ongoing Monsoon Session, the external affairs minister rejected the Opposition's claims that they had mishandled the process.
- Uttar Pradesh BJP leader sacked for saying Mayawati ‘worse than a prostitute’: The BSP leader and former chief minister of the state said the remark reflects the saffron party's frustration at her party's growing strength.
- Kashmir not an internal matter of India, says Pakistan PM Nawaz Sharif, reiterating plebiscite call: Meanwhile, Pakistan observed 'Black Day' as an expression of solidarity for the people of the Valley.
- FIR filed against AAP MLA Somnath Bharti for 'instigating' men to misbehave with a woman: The lawmaker was booked for abetment, while the men were charged with molestation, criminal intimidation and use of criminal force.
- Twitter allows all users to apply for verified 'blue tick' accounts: The micro-blogging site said it hopes the online process will help Twitterati find 'high-quality accounts to follow' and 'connect with a broader audience'.
- Opposition seeks action against Devendra Fadnavis for transferring dead excise official: The CM had signed an order on July 3 that moved Sandip Maruti Sabale from Kolhapur to Nashik, even though Sabale had died in a car accident in 2013.
- Former India hockey captain Mohammed Shahid dies at 56 after liver and kidney ailment: The Arjuna awardee and Padma Shri was a member of the Indian team that won the gold medal at the Moscow Olympics in 1980.
- Rohit Khandelwal becomes first Indian to win Mr World title: The 26-year-old model-cum-actor defeated contestants from 47 countries to emerge on top at the international pageant.
- Court issues notices to Google after Narendra Modi image appears as search result for top criminals: A criminal case will be filed against the global search engine, its CEO Sundar Pichai and India head Rajan Anandan.