A look at the headlines in the sector right now:
- RBI allows eligible firms to apply for on-tap universal bank licences: The central bank has excluded large industrial houses and NBFCs that have more than 40% of their total assets coming from non-financial businesses.
- GST Bill listed for hearing in Rajya Sabha on Wednesday, BJP says 'mood in favour of passage': The ruling party met key members of the Congress on Monday, giving out clear indications that some sort of consensus was in the offing.
- Sensex falls 59.21 points, drops below 28,000: Nifty declined 25.15 points or 0.29% at the day's low of 8,611.40 in mid-afternoon trade.
- Apple introduces new ‘gender diverse’ emojis for iOS 10, replaces gun with water pistol: The tech company added dozens of characters that will be available on iPhones and iPads, including a rainbow flag and women in competitive sports.
- India will have surplus power this financial year, says Piyush Goyal: The Union power minister said surplus power generation has been possible despite a 7.03% increase in demand in the last two years, as compared to 5.65% in the earlier decade.
- Top Indian companies less affected by infrastructure drawbacks than Chinese counterparts, finds S&P: In two reports, the financial services company said Chinese firms have more government influence than Indian ones.
- Petrol and diesel cess drew in Rs 69,809 crore in 2015-16: The Centre said that Rs 17,217 crore was collected through levies on motor spirit and Rs 52,592 crore from high speed diesel oil.