The big news: Shuttler PV Sindhu eyes gold at Rio Olympics final today, and nine other top stories
Former coal secretary HC Gupta was charged with criminal conspiracy, and Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump said he regrets saying 'the wrong things'.
A look at the headlines right now:
- Shuttler PV Sindhu guaranteed an Olympic medal after crushing world No. 6 Nozomi Okuhara in semis: The 21-year-old Indian won the match 21-19 21-10 and will play world No. 1 Carolina Marin in the final.
- Special CBI court filed charges against former coal secretary HC Gupta in coal scam: The senior bureaucrat has refused to hire a lawyer citing limited financial means, and said that he will face his trial from inside prison.
- Donald Trump expresses regret for saying ‘the wrong thing’: The Republican Party nominee for the United States Presidency, however, said that he would continue to tell his supporters ‘the truth’.
- Mahesh Sharma apologises to housing society watchman who was thrashed by his security officer: The incident took place in Ghaziabad after the victim allegedly took too long to open the gates to the residential complex.
- Navjot Singh Sidhu has not made any pre-conditions for joining the Aam Aadmi Party, says Arvind Kejriwal: Kejriwal said that the former BJP legislator needs ‘time to think’ ahead of the Punjab Assembly elections, which are scheduled for next year.
- We used 13 lakh pellets in 32 days in Kashmir, CRPF informs high court: Between July 8 and August 11, the paramilitary force also used 8,650 tear-smoke shells and 14 types of 'less lethal and non-lethal' munitions.
- Wrestler Narsingh Yadav receives four-year doping ban from the Court of Arbitration for Sport: The court upheld the appeal filed by the World Anti-Doping Agency against the clean chit awarded to the Indian, which means he will miss the Olympics.
- 25 policemen suspended, six people arrested in Bihar's suspected hooch tragedy: The local administration also lodged First Information Reports against 14 people, after 13 residents of Gopalganj district died under mysterious circumstances.
- SBI board approves merger of five associate banks, Bharatiya Mahila Bank Limited: SBI chairperson Arundhati Bhattacharya said that the move would give the bank a total balance of Rs 37 lakh crore.
- Be our brother, says Baloch activist in rakhi message to Narendra Modi: Karima Baloch, chairperson of Baloch Student Organisation, urged the Prime Minister to draw the world's attention to the human rights violations in the region.