The Supreme Court on Wednesday ruled that Sergeant Massimiliano Latorre, one of the Italian marines accused of killing two Indian fishermen in 2012, can stay in Italy till an international arbitral tribunal decides on the jurisdictional issue between India and Italy. It also directed the Centre to submit a report every three months on the progress of the case at the international court, The Indian Express reported.
The court heard a petition filed by Italy earlier this month that sought a modification of Latorre's bail conditions. On September 21, the Centre had told the top court that it had no objections to Latorre remaining in his country till the tribunal decides on the case. The government had said they were willing to accept the same conditions that were imposed on Salvatore Girone, the other marine accused in the case, when he was granted bail.
The apex court had relaxed Girone's bail conditions on May 26 and granted him permission to return home to Italy. It had, however, directed him to submit his passport to Italian authorities on arrival in the country and report to his nearest police station every month. The report would then forwarded to the Indian Embassy.
The case dates back to February 15, 2012, when Latorre and Girone opened fire on two Indian fishermen after they allegedly thought they were pirates. The marines were on aboard the Italian-flagged commercial oil tanker Enrica Lexie when the incident took place.