A look at the headlines right now:
- Triple talaq row: Muslim law board will boycott law panel's questionnaire on the uniform civil code: The All India Muslim Personal Law Board argued that the Centre was trying to impose a ‘single ideology’ in India.
- Tata Consultancy Services reports 8.4% rise in Q2 profit, posts revenue of Rs 29,284 crore: This comes soon after a report said India’s information technology sector faced its worst second-quarter performance in eight years.
- Maldives quits Commonwealth over allegations of human rights violations: The country's foreign ministry said they have been treated ‘unjustly and unfairly’ and added that the decision was 'difficult, but inevitable’.
- Thailand’s King Bhumibol Adulyadej dies at 88: The world’s longest-reigning monarch had only made a few public appearances in recent years.
- Chandrababu Naidu, YSJ Reddy in row over Rs 10,000 crore black money declared from Hyderabad: Both leaders sought to implicate one another for the amount declared, and wrote to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the matter.
- Month-long Winter session of Parliament to start on November 16: The session was advanced in order to meet the April 1 deadline for the Goods and Services Tax.
- Portugal's Antonio Guterres officially appointed next UN secretary-general: All 193 members of the General Assembly adopted the resolution for the former prime minister to take over the post after Ban Ki-moon's term ends on December 31.
- Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize in Literature for ‘creating new poetic expressions’: The iconic folk singer was up against Kenyan writer Ngugi wa Thiong’o and contemporary Japanese author Haruki Murakami, among others.
- Pakistan defends travel ban on Dawn reporter Cyril Almeida: The interior minister said his presence was necessary for an investigation and that the ban was placed because he was scheduled to leave for Dubai on October 11.
- Retail inflation drops to 4.31% in September following RBI rate cut: The Consumer Price Index was expected to fall since prospects of a bumper agricultural harvest had risen after a good monsoon.
(The image is representative)