A look at the headlines in the sector:
- Indian markets close week on positive note as Sensex gains 174 points, Nifty 39: Strong quarterly results by financial companies and the expectation of economic incentives in the Budget boosted investor sentiment.
- GST at final stages, will bring more revenues into the system, says Arun Jaitley: The finance minister said most “contentious issues” on Goods and Services Tax have been sorted out.
- With focus on health and nutrition, PepsiCo to reduce sugar content in its beverages: Double-income families, single households and the increasing number of women in the workforce had increased demand, said PepsiCo India CEO D Shivakumar.
- RBI likely to lift withdrawal limits by February-end, say bankers: Officials believe the cash situation after demonetisation will improve vastly before the end of the current fiscal.
- Apple executives submit proposal to set up iPhone manufacturing unit in India: They met Nirmala Sitharaman to pitch the idea, which will now be examined by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- Google banned 1.7 billion ‘misleading’ ads in 2016, says report: The company said it expanded its policies to better protect users from misleading and predatory offers.
- Aditya Birla Group to invest Rs 7,000 crore in Andhra Pradesh: The conglomerate already has investments of Rs 10,000 crore in the state across sectors like telecom, retail and cement.
- Facebook hires former Xiaomi vice-president Hugo Barra to head its virtual reality business: Mark Zuckerberg said Barra shared his belief that ‘virtual and augmented reality will be the next major computing platform’.