The big news: N Biren Singh takes oath as Manipur chief minister, and nine other top stories
In other headlines: Shashank Manohar resigned from the post of ICC chairman, and Donald Trump’s 2005 tax returns were leaked.
A look at the headlines right now:
- N Biren Singh sworn in as Manipur chief minister, NPP’s Y Joykumar as deputy: The BJP coalition in the state has 32 legislators, as against the Congress, who won 28 seats.
- Shashank Manohar resigns as International Cricket Council chief: He stepped down from the ICC top post citing personal reasons.
- Donald Trump paid $36.5 million in taxes in 2005 because of a law he wants to get rid of: The president’s refusal to disclose his tax returns has been debated since his campaign as this breaks the tradition followed by US leaders for decades.
- Rape-accused Samajwadi Party leader Gayatri Prajapati arrested in Lucknow: The 49-year-old former minister claimed innocence and demanded a Narco test on the minor.
- Sasikala’s nephew TTV Dinakaran is AIADMK’s candidate for RK Nagar by-poll: Jayalalithaa’s niece Deepa Jayakumar and DMK’s Marudhuganesh will also stand for the by-election to the former chief minister’s seat.
- Stayzilla chief Yogendra Vasupal arrested in Chennai after ad agency cries fraud: The CEO and co-founder of the homestay aggregator, which shut shop last month, has accused Jigsaw Advertising of harassment and intimidation in a blog post.
- Irish woman found dead after Holi celebrations near Deobagh beach in Goa: Reports said one person has been arrested and six other suspects are being questioned by the police.
- Clerics in Assam issue fatwa against reality show singer Nahid Afreen: Some reports said the diktat was issued because the venue of her show was close to a mosque, others claimed it was in response to her anti-militancy songs.
- Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Padmavati attacked again, Kolhapur location set on fire: The filmmaker had moved the shoot to Maharashtra after Rajput groups had assaulted him and vandalised the movie’s Jaipur set.
- Endangered penguins will be on display at Mumbai’s Byculla zoo from Saturday, despite criticism: The birds were moved into their enclosure after microbiologists reviewed its condition.