A look at the headlines in the sector right now:
- Sensex breaches 32,000 mark, Nifty ends at new high of 9,892: ICICI Bank, ITC, Larsen & Toubro and Sun Pharma were the prominent gainers on the BSE index.
- Still counting notes deposited after demonetisation, says RBI Governor Urjit Patel: He appeared before a Parliamentary panel that will file a report on demonetisation before the Monsoon Session begins.
- TCS to wind up operations in Lucknow, move likely to affect 2,000 IT professionals: Staff members said they had been informed about the decision by their team leaders on Wednesday.
- Google does not have to pay €1.1-billion tax bill in France: A Paris court ruled that the company did not have a permanent establishment in France, so it was not liable to pay taxes between 2005 to 2010.
- Accused in Reliance Jio breach wanted to set up search engine with customer data, says report: The company, for the first time, had admitted in its police complaint that its systems had been compromised.
- Facebook’s Messenger Lite comes to India’s Android users: The 10MB app has been optimised for use on old or entry-level smartphones and slow internet speeds.
- Google acquires Bengaluru-based artificial intelligence startup Halli Labs: The four-month old company was founded by Pankaj Gupta who previously worked at Stayzilla.
- A Bengaluru union of former Ola, Uber drivers is planning to launch its own cab service in August: A Kolkata-based technology startup, which owns the TYGR app, is helping them with the project.