The big news: Flights, trains cancelled after heavy rain in Mumbai, and nine other top stories
Other headlines: The Calcutta HC pulled up West Bengal government for its Durga idol immersion orders, and a journalist was killed during clashes in Tripura.
A look at the headlines right now:
- 75 flights cancelled due to heavy rain in Mumbai, main runway at airport to remain closed till Thursday: The civic body reported waterlogging in parts of the city, including Hindmata, Sion, Andheri Subway and Bandra.
- Why can’t communities celebrate Durga Puja, Muharram together, Calcutta HC asks West Bengal government: Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had barred Durga idol immersions on October 1 because of Muharram.
- Journalist killed during clashes in Tripura’s Mandai, four arrested: The police said 118 people were injured in the violence between Indigenous People’s Front of Tripura and Tripura Rajaer Upajati Ganamukti Parishad.
- Government will take necessary steps to revive economy, boost growth, says Arun Jaitley: The GDP slowed to 5.7% in the first quarter of 2017 from 7.9% in the corresponding period in 2016.
- Tata Steel signs deal with German firm ThyssenKrupp to merge European steel operations: The new joint venture entity is touted to become the second-largest steelmaker in Europe after ArcelorMittal.
- Former Union minister ND Tiwari admitted to Delhi hospital after suffering a stroke: His son Rohit Tiwari said he fell unconscious in the morning while having tea at home.
- Hurricane Maria makes landfall in Puerto Rico, downgraded to Category 4 storm: On Tuesday, the French overseas territory of Guadeloupe was hit hard by the hurricane that left 80,000 people without electricity.
- One soldier killed, three injured in exchange of fire along LoC in Kashmir: Pakistani troops had allegedly opened fire at an Army patrol unit in the Keran sector early on Wednesday.
- Spain blocks funds, arrests government officials to stop Catalonia independence referendum: Catalonia President Carles Puigdemont accused the country’s government of effectively suspending the region’s autonomy.
- CBI special court defers hearing in 2G spectrum scam to October 25: The court said the date of judgment will be finalised on the next date of hearing.