A look at the headlines in the sector right now:
- Mukesh Ambani’s net worth rose 67% in 2017 despite economic slowdown, says Forbes Magazine: Wipro chairperson Azim Premji has jumped two places from 2016 to the second spot on the 2017 list of India’s 100 richest tycoons.
- Sensex closes 79 points down, Nifty below 9,900 a day after RBI’s monetary policy meet: ICICI Bank, Hero Motocorp, Bajaj Auto, Axis Bank and Hindustan Unilever were the top losers at the Bombay Stock Exchange.
- Still not paid for working extra hours during demonetisation, bank employees threaten strike: Unions said the government has been informed about the non-payment for the extra hours that the staff put in to deal with the rush during note ban.
- Truckers say they will go on nationwide strike on October 9, 10 to protest GST: The All India Motor Transport Congress wants diesel prices to be revised on a quarterly basis and made uniform across the country.
- Wind power tariff falls to record low of Rs 2.64 per unit at second auction: This beat the previous low of Rs 3.46 per unit recorded in February.
- EU orders Amazon to pay nearly €250 million for receiving illegal tax advantages: The European Commission said Luxembourg had given the online retailer several benefits without any ‘valid justification’.
- SpiceJet shares rise after it signs deal to buy 100 amphibian planes that can land on water: With this, the company hopes to explore providing air connectivity to the remotest parts of the country.
- Google’s new earbuds promise to translate 40 languages in real time: The Pixel Buds will be available in a few countries, including the US, from November.