A look at the headlines in this sector right now:
- GST Council meeting begins, relief for small and medium business likely to be discussed: The panel is trying to ease difficulties that have risen from shifting to the new tax regime, Revenue Secretary Hasmukh Adhia said.
- Centre makes Aadhaar must for post office deposits, public provident funds, Kisan Vikas Patra: The Ministry of Finance said existing depositors have time till December 31 to provide the 12-digit unique identification number.
- Sensex ends over 200 points up, Nifty nears 10,000 again amid speculation over GST Council meeting: Tata Steel and Sun Pharma were among the top gainers on both indices, whereas Hero MotoCorp and HDFC were among the worst performers.
- Centre identifies 5,800 shell firms that allegedly laundered crores of rupees after demonetisation: The government received data from 13 banks on the transactions these companies made after the note ban.
- Bad loans top priority, but won’t miss opportunities to lend, says new SBI Chairperson Rajnish Kumar: He said the bank was well poised, and would not need more capital from the government before March 2019.
- Piyush Goyal says decline in employment by top companies in India is a ‘very good sign’: The railway minister claimed that more and more youth now wanted to be entrepreneurs.
- Tribunal dismisses Cyrus Mistry’s transfer plea, fines his firms Rs 10 lakh: His family wanted the case against Tata Sons transferred to the Delhi bench of the National Company Law Tribunal, alleging that the Mumbai bench could have cause for bias.