A look at the headlines in the sector:
- Company law tribunal allows Centre to appoint 10 interim directors to Unitech’s board: The National Company Law Tribunal also gave the real estate firm four weeks to respond to the government’s petition to take over its management.
- Sensex closes above 33,000, Nifty ends 100 points higher a day before Gujarat goes to polls: Strong cues from the Asian markets also helped the benchmark indices to make gains.
- Jet Airways’ second quarter net profit plummets 91% on higher fuel expenses: The company’s quarterly total expenses rose 9.2% to Rs 5,709 crore.
- Deadline to link Aadhaar number with PAN extended to March 31: The government said it was pushing the last date as some taxpayers had not completed the process yet.
- Vijay Mallya offered to pay back 80% of principal loan amount but banks rejected it, claims defence: Citing a lavish party the businessman had thrown, the prosecution said banks may have rejected his offer as they knew he could repay the full amount.
- Theresa May strikes last-minute deal with EU, Brexit trade talks likely to begin soon: According to the agreement, the rights of European Union citizens in the United Kingdom and vice-versa will be protected.
- India gets entry to multilateral export control regime Wassenaar Arrangement: Joining the 41-member group will enhance India’s position in the field of non-proliferation and make it easier to acquire defence technologies.