Around 40 students of Kasturba Gandhi School in Uttar Pradesh’s Etah district were admitted to a hospital with food poisoning on Friday after eating a meal provided at the residential school. Etah District Magistrate Amit Kishore has ordered an inquiry into the incident, ANI reported.
Kishore told Scroll.in that on Friday morning, about 70 girls complained of severe abdominal pain, after which they were taken to the nearby primary health centre. “The doctor referred 35 girls to the district hospital where they are recuperating,” he said. “Four girls were shifted to a medical college in Agra.”
All the students are in stable condition, the Etah district magistrate said.
Kasturba Gandhi School is a residential girls school with around 100 students enrolled from Class 5 to Class 8. The students have all their meals at the institute, where the food is prepared in the school kitchen.
“We don’t know what exactly led to the food poisoning, but I have sent all the food samples for testing,” Kishore told Scroll.in. “I have asked a report on the cleanliness also.”