The Supreme Court on Monday allowed the injured Unnao rape complainant to be airlifted from Lucknow to Delhi for treatment, PTI reported. The complainant’s lawyer told the court that her mother wanted her to be shifted to All India Institute of Medical Sciences in Delhi for better care as she was still in critical condition.

The 19-year-old woman, who has accused four-time Uttar Pradesh MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar of raping her, was critically injured in a car accident in Rae Bareli on July 28. Two of her aunts died in the accident, while her lawyer is also in hospital with severe injuries. The teenager’s family has accused Sengar and his aides of orchestrating the accident.

The Delhi Traffic Police will provide a green corridor (a stretch of road free of traffic) to the complainant from the Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi to the AIIMS Trauma Centre for her speedy shifting to the hospital, PTI reported.

“We will give her a green corridor and she will travel from IGI airport to AIIMS Trauma Centre via Dhaula Kuan, Moti Bagh and Sarojini Nagar,” an unidentified senior police officer told the news agency.

Uttar Pradesh police also created a nearly 15-kilometre-long green corridor to transport her from the trauma centre in Lucknow earlier in the day to the airport, NDTV reported.

The doctors at King George’s Medical University in Lucknow said the woman’s condition was “improving” and that the process of taking her off the ventilator had begun.

Last week, the court had made the suggestion to airlift the complainant but had not passed an order to wait for the family’s view. The court had also ordered the Central Bureau of Investigation to complete the inquiry into the car crash within a fortnight. It had asked for Central Reserve Police Force security for the complainant’s family, and Rs 25-lakh compensation to be given to them from the Uttar Pradesh government.

On Monday, the court said the family of the complainant’s lawyer could also seek the same relief if they need. The CBI, meanwhile, informed the court that the woman’s uncle, who was in prison in Uttar Pradesh, had been transferred to Tihar Jail in Delhi, as ordered by the court last week.

The complainant has reportedly developed pneumonia and is in a serious condition. Her lawyer, who was travelling with her in the same car, has been taken off ventilator support and has showed signs of improvement, but is still unconscious.