Quentin Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight has already been released in select cinemas in the 70mm format in the United States of America, and the widescreen version will be out on December 25 and on January 15 in India. Tarantino’s newest movie is set during the American Civil War in the mid-nineteenth century and follows bounty hunters who get sucked into betrayal and deception while seeking shelter from a blizzard — a kind of period Reservoir Dogs . With a cast that includes Kurt Russell, Samuel L Jackson, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Bruce Dern and Tim Roth, the movie is already one of the most eagerly awaited releases of 2016.
What is a Tarantino movie without his razor-sharp, witty and film-literate dialogue? Take this quiz to see if you know what his characters said in which movie.
1. Which movie character gave us this pearl of wisdom? (Hint: think steel.)
a) Archie Hicox, ‘Inglourious Basterds’
b) Hattori Hanzo, ‘Kill Bill, Vol 1’
c) Mr White, ‘Reservoir Dogs’
2. Bullets and words, it is all the same in the QT universe. Which gore-fest was this line taken from?
a) Aldo Raine, ‘Inglourious Basterds’
b) The Wolf, ‘Pulp Fiction’
c) Warren, ‘DeathProof’
3. Tarantino’s villains are nearly always more famous than the heroes. That should be hint enough for this next one:
"Gentlemen, you had my curiosity but now you have my attention."
a) Bill, ‘Kill Bill Vol 2,’
b) Winston, ‘Jackie Brown’
c) Calvin Candie, ‘Django Unchained’
4. Which Tarantino movie had this line by Michael Madsen:
“Are you gonna bark all day little doggie? Or are you gonna bite?"
a) ‘Kill Bill’
b) ‘Reservoir Dogs’
5. Which piece of Tarantino’s period movie does this quote belong to:
“I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, where rumors, true or false, are often revealing.”
a) ‘Django Unchained’
b) ‘Inglorious Basterds’?
6. Intrigue, deceit and mystery are the necessary ingredients for all Tarantino movies. Which 1990s thriller film had this gem?
“I’m serious as a heart attack.”
a) Ordell Robbie, ‘Jackie Brown’
b)Mr White, ‘Reservoir Dogs’
c) The Wolf, ‘Pulp Fiction’
7. In which film did Uma Thurman say,
"Trying to forget something as intriguing as this would be an exercise in futility."
a) ‘Pulp Fiction’
b) ‘Kill Bill’
8. Tarantino‘s movies frequently reference comic books and superheros. Reservoir Dogs has a few references, as does True Romance, which was written by Tarantino. Who says this line:
“Clark Kent is Superman‘s critique on the whole human race.”
a) Warren, ‘Death Proof’
b) Bill, ‘Kill Bill: Vol 2’
c) Esmeralda, ‘Pulp Fiction’
9. Revenge. An important component of the Tarantino universe. In which movie does the protagonist say this?
“I like the way you die boy!”
a) Max Cherry, ‘Jackie Brown’
b) Warren, ‘Death Proof’
c) Django, ‘Django Unchained’
10. All that gore and so much moral philosophising. Which movie has this quote?
“The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.”
a) Jules, ‘Pulp Fiction’
b) The Bride, ‘Kill Bill Vol(1) &(2)’
b) Mr White, ‘Reservoir Dogs’
Answers: 1.b 2.c 3.c 4.b 5.b 6.a 7.a 8.b 9.c 10.a