Current Affairs wrap for the day: January 25th, 2019
Get all the big national and international news and stay up to date with Current Affairs and General Knowledge to prepare for competitive exams.
Support our journalism by subscribing to Scroll+
We welcome your comments at
Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code constitutional validity upheld
- The Supreme Court Justices Rohinton Nariman and Navin Sinha upheld the Insolvency and Bankruptcy code in its entirety.
- Several petitions challenging various sections in the code were filed in the Supreme Court.
- The Code gives legal framework to release non-performing assets and resolve insolvency cases.
Crocodiles in Narmada river being relocated to make way for seaplane service
- Gujarat forest department is removing around 500 Crocodylus palustris (crocodiles) from two ponds on the Sardar Sarovar Dam premises on the Narmada river.
- Reports suggest that crocodiles are being removed to make way to seaplane service at the Statue of Unity.
- The particular species of crocodile are on the list of most endangered species and classified under Schedule 1 of Wildlife Protection Act.
Microsat-R and Kalamsat launched successfully
- ISRO launched military imaging satellite Microsat-R and Kalamsat on January 24th, 2019.
- Kalamsat, named after APJ Abdul Kalam, is a said to be the world’s smallest and lightest communication satellite developed by students.
- The launch took place from Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh.
Sahitya Akademi winning Hindi writer Krishna Sobti passes away
- She passed away at the age of 93 in New Delhi on January 25th.
- She was best known for her novel Mitro Marjani and Zindaginama.
- She won Sahitya Akademi in 1980 for Mitro Marjani and was also awarded Jnanpith Award in 2017 for her contribution to Indian literature.