Current affairs wrap of the day: March 23rd, 2019
Get all the big national and international news and stay up to date with Current Affairs and General Knowledge to prepare for competitive exams.
Support our journalism by
subscribing to Scroll+.
We welcome your comments at
Robert Mueller submits report on Russian meddling in Donald Trump’s 2016 election
- Special counsel Robert Mueller on Friday submitted his long-awaited report into an explosive two-year investigation of Russian meddling in Donald Trump’s 2016 election
- This probe the current President denounces as a “witch hunt” and opponents say could fuel impeachment.
- Attorney General Bill Barr wrote in a letter to Congress that he might be able to summarize the reports “principal conclusions” for Congress as early as this weekend.
Death toll in China chemical plant explosion touches 44
- The death toll in an explosion in an industrial park in eastern China went up to to 44 on Friday morning as a number of people died of their injuries.
- The explosion occurred on Thursday following a fire in a fertilizer factory in a chemical industrial park in Yancheng, Jiangsu province.
European Union offers UK more time to leave the bloc
- Brexit is to be delayed till April 12 at the earliest, after European leaders agreed to a modified version of Theresa May’s request for an extension.
- If May’s deal is passed by MPs, exit will be delayed till May 22, if it fails, U.K. will be given time till April 12.
India postpones accounting rules, sparing banks bad-loan piles
- India delayed the introduction of tough new accounting rules for the second year running.
- This move will spare the country’s banks from adding another layer to the $190 billion pile of bad loans on their books.