Current affairs wrap of the day: July 5th, 2019
Get all the big national and international news and stay up to date with Current Affairs and General Knowledge to prepare for competitive exams.
Support our journalism by subscribing to Scroll+
We welcome your comments at
Interim Union Budget presented; Proposal for option to use Aadhar in place of PAN card
- Nirmala Sitharaman presented her first budget as Finance Minister today.
- The minister proposed increased fuel price by Rs. 2 per litre with increase in excise duty and cess.
- She proposed creation of social stock exchange to help NGOs receive funding.
- Government allocated Rs. 70,000 crore for public sector bank recapitalisation.
Vaiko sentenced to 1 year in prison in a sedition case
- Tamil Nadu politician and MDMK party leader V Gopalasway or better known as Vaiko was sentence to 1-year prison in Chennai today.
- He was found guilty under section 124 A (sedition) for his speech where he said that India will not remain a country if the war against LTTE in Sri Lanka is not stopoped.
- Earlier in the week, he was nominated by DMK alliance for Rajya Sabha.
SC upholds conviction of 12 accused in Haren Pandya murder case
- The top court set aside a Gujarat High Court judgement acquitting all the accused.
- He was a home minister of Gujarat government who was shot dead on March 26th, 2003.
- A trial court had found the accused guilty; however, the high court found the investigation botched and acquitted the accused.
- CBI had challenged the High Court verdict and said that Pandya was murdered to avenge the 2002 communal riots in the state