The deadline to link Aadhaar with PAN has been extended to 31st March 2020 by CBDT, announced the Income Tax Department. The last date to link the two was previously 31st December 2019.
Individuals who have not yet linked their PAN and Aadhaar numbers or are unsure if they have linked the two yet, can check the IT department’s website for the status.
According to the government notification, if a PAN is not be linked with Aadhaar after 31st March, the PAN will become inoperative. This means that it will be deemed that the individual is not holding a PAN.
How to link PAN and Aadhaar online:
- Visit the Income Tax Department’s e-filing portal (incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in) and click on Link Aadhaar (https://www1.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-FilingGS/Services/LinkAadhaarHome.html?lang=eng)
- Enter your PAN and Aadhaar number in the spaces provided along with your full name.
- In case only your birth year is mentioned on your Aadhaar card, you have to tick the square. After this, enter the captcha code for verification.
- Click on ‘Link Aadhaar’ and you will receive a pop-up message confirming that your Aadhaar and PAN are now linked.
How to link Aadhaar number with PAN on SMS:
Send a message in this format: UIDPAN <12 Digit Aadhaar> <10 Digit PAN> to 567678 or 56161 from your registered mobile number
For example, if your Aadhaar number is 123456781234 and your PAN is ABCDE1234F, you have to type UIDPAN 123456781234 ABCDE1234F and send the message to 567678 or 56161.
How to check PAN-Aadhaar linking status online:
- Visit www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/aadhaarstatus
- Enter PAN and Aadhaar Number
- Click on ‘View Link Aadhaar Status’
- The status of the linking will be displayed