Formula One team McLaren on Friday said they would stop using Honda engines and go with Renault next season, after an unsuccessful partnership with the Japanese manufacturer.
The celebrated British marque announced a three-year deal covering 2018, 2019 and 2020 with Renault, who said they were splitting with Toro Rosso – who will now be powered by Honda.
The announcements had been widely flagged and could ultimately herald a shake-up in the pecking order of Formula One, which is currently dominated by Mercedes and Ferrari.
Honda’s exit is likely to convince two-time world champion Fernando Alonso, who has repeatedly threatened to quit over the misfiring Honda engines, to stay at McLaren next year.
“Today’s announcement gives us the stability we need to move ahead with our chassis and technical programme for 2018 without any further hesitation,” said McLaren executive director Zak Brown.
Do you prefer your favourite sports stories delivered straight to your inbox every weekday? We have got you covered. Subscribe to The Field’s newsletter.
Respond to this article with a post
Share your perspective on this article with a post on ScrollStack, and send it to your followers.