With a new captain in KL Rahul and a new backroom staff headed by Anil Kumble, Kings XI Punjab tried to end their wait to lift the Indian Premier League trophy in the 13th edition. But the trophy eluded them once again as they became the second team to be eliminated from the tournament.
Here are the fixtures for KXIP during the 2020 season and their results:
(Scroll sideways to view all columns in the table)
KXIP fixtures and results for IPL 2020
|Match||Day/Date/Time||Venue||Result||Total points for season|
|DC vs KXIP||20 Sep, Sun (1930)||Dubai||KXIP lost in Super Over||0|
|KXIP vs RCB||24 Sep, Thu (1930)||Dubai||KXIP won by 97 runs||2|
|RR vs KXIP||27 Sep, Sun (1930)||Sharjah||KXIP lost by 4 wickets||2|
|KXIP vs MI||1 Oct, Thu (1930)||Abu Dhabi||KXIP lost by 48 runs||2|
|KXIP vs CSK||4 Oct, Sun (1930)||Dubai||KXIP lost by 10 wickets||2|
|SRH vs KXIP||8 Oct, Thu (1930)||Dubai||KXIP lost by 69 runs||2|
|KXIP vs KKR||10 Oct, Sat (1530)||Abu Dhabi||KXIP lost by 2 runs||2|
|RCB vs KXIP||15 Oct, Thu (1930)||Sharjah||KXIP won by 8 wickets||4|
|MI vs KXIP||18 Oct, Sun (1930)||Dubai||KXIP won after 2 Super Overs||6|
|KXIP vs DC||20 Oct, Tue (1930)||Dubai||KXIP won by 5 wickets||8|
|KXIP vs SRH||24 Oct, Sat (1930)||Dubai||KXIP won by 12 runs||10|
|KKR vs KXIP||26 Oct, Mon (1930)||Sharjah||KXIP won by 8 wickets||12|
|KXIP vs RR||30 Oct, Fri (1930)||Abu Dhabi||KXIP lost by 7 wickets||12|
|CSK vs KXIP||1 Nov, Sun (1530)||Abu Dhabi||KXIP lost by 9 wickets||12|
A recap of KXIP’s matches during IPL 2020:
- The start was near perfect but KXIP lost their way in the middle part of the match before Mayank Agarwal’s stunning innings brought them close to win. But, with one run needed off two balls, KXIP lost two wickets to tie the match and eventually lost in the Super Over. Read the match report here and watch the highlights of below:
2. After the disappointment of the first game, Kings XI Punjab bounced back in style to beat RCB by 97 runs. The star of the show was skipper KL Rahul, who scored a majestic century to set up the win. Read the match report here and watch the highlights of below:
3. For the second time this season, Kings XI Punjab found a way to lose a match that they were in complete control of. It happened in the first game against Delhi Capitals and now, some poor bowling in the death overs allowed Rahul Tewatia’s 31-ball 53 to carry Rajasthan Royals to victory. Watch the highlights below and read report here.
4. In another world, KXIP would have brushed this defeat aside as their first of the season and boasted of a 3-1 record. But, after having lost two matches that they were minutes away from winning, the franchise now has a 1-3 record. After opting to bat first on their first match in Abu Dhabi and dismissing two dangerous batsmen early, pretty much nothing went Punjab’s way on the night. Read the report here and watch highlights below.
5. KXIP have a problem. A big problem. Their openers Mayank Agarwal and KL Rahul once again put on a good stand but little went right for them after that. Their bowling looks particularly weak and the poor execution of plans isn’t helping matters. KXIP now have won just one of their five matches this season.
6. Chasing a stiff target of 202 against SRH, KXIP were all out for 132 in 16.5 overs to slump to their fifth defeat – and fourth on the trot – in six matches to remain at the bottom of the points table. KXIP made amends of their woeful death overs bowling by conceding just 41 runs in the last five overs and taking six wickets in the process with leg-spinner Ravi Bishnoi (3/29) triggering the collapse but that could not stop SRH from crossing the 200-run mark. In reply, Nicholas Pooran was the only batsman who was able to get going for KXIP.
7. Kings XI Punjab suffered yet another defeat after choking dramatically while chasing KKR’s total of 164. Openers KL Rahul and Mayank Agarwal took Punjab to 115 for no loss but they still couldn’t manage to close out the win. The match was capped-off by a tense last over bowled by Sunil Narine. Read the match report here and watch highlights below:
8. Kings XI Punjab finally posted another win in the IPL. A disciplined bowling performance was followed by a batting masterclass by KL Rahul and well supported by Chris Gayle who made a fine return to cricket after the coronavirus pandemic.
Read the match report here and watch the highlights of the game below
9. Kings XI Punjab showed nerves of steel as they defeated defending champions Mumbai Indians in an edge-of-the-seat game that was decided via a second Super Over for the first time in the history of the tournament. Both the teams ended at the same score in the regulation 20 overs as well as in the first Super Over. Chris Gayle and Mayank Agarwal helped KXIP notched up an incredible win to keep their IPL play-off hopes alive, after Mohammed Shami bowled an incredible over as KXIP defended the five runs to take the match to a second Super Over. Read match report here and watch highlights below:
10. Despite Shikhar Dhawan’s century, the other batsmen failed to contribute as DC could only manage 164/5 in their first innings. In reply, KXIP started slowly losing wickets at regular intervals but Nicholas Pooran and Glenn Maxwell steadied the ship after a Chris Gayle cameo before Jimmy Neesham and Deepak Hooda took the team to a victory. Read the report here and watch the highlights of the match below:
11. Winning is a habit they say. And KXIP made sure they pulled a rabbit out of their collective hats in a match that they seemed certain to lose against SRH. The win by 12 runs made it four on the trot for Rahul and Co. Watch the highlights below and read the report here.
12. Kings XI made it five wins in a row to take charge in the race for finishing in playoff spots as their resurgence continued in full swing. Chris Gayle was the player of the match as he ensured his 100% win record in the side. Rahul and Co had now won all five matches with Gayle in the XI. Mandeep Singh hit an emotional half century too, days after losing his father. Read the match report here and watch highlights below.
13. Asked to bat first in Abu Dhabi. Kings XI Punjab finished with 185/4 thanks to a masterful 99 off 63 by Chris Gayle. However, KL Rahul and Co were never on top with the ball as Rajasthan Royals managed to build partnerships from the get-go. A half-century off 25 balls by opener Ben Stokes set up a seven-wicket win for the men in pink, leaving both teams with a chance of reaching the playoffs ahead of the final round of the league stage. Read the match report here and watch highlights below:
14. This was a must-win game for KXIP. They had done remarkably well to get themselves in a promising position. A victory against CSK would all but guarantee their spot in the playoffs. But sadly for KL Rahul and Co, they ended up losing by nine wickets. Asked to bat first, Punjab managed to get 153/6 thanks to a 30-ball 62 by Deepak Hooda. But CSK rode on an unbeaten half-century by Ruturaj Gaikwad to seal a comfortable win. Read the match report here and watch highlights below:
Highlights videos courtesy: iplt20.com