The big news: Protests held in several cities against Unnao, Kathua rapes, and 9 other top stories
Other headlines: India finished the Commonwealth Games with 66 medals, and Delhi accused Pakistan of blocking consular access to visiting Sikh pilgrims.
A look at the headlines right now:
- Hundreds of protestors march in various cities to demand action in Unnao, Kathua rapes: Meanwhile, the autopsy of an 11-year-old girl, whose body was found in Surat with 86 injuries, confirmed she was raped.
- India finishes Commonwealth Games with 26 gold, 20 silver and 20 bronze medals: Australia won the most medals followed by England.
- ‘Pakistan didn’t allow our diplomats to meet visiting Sikh pilgrims,’ claims India: New Delhi alleged Islamabad had ‘compelled’ even the Indian high commissioner to return when he was on his way to meet the pilgrims on Baisakhi.
- Why doesn’t Congress take action against its J&K leader who supported Kathua protestors, asks BJP: The party’s state chief Ghulam Mir had purportedly suggested that the real culprits in the rape and murder case were being protected.
- Bar Council of India to investigate conduct of lawyers’ associations in Kathua rape case: The council has to submit its response to a Supreme Court notice by April 19 but said it will seek two more days’ time.
- Jignesh Mevani claims Rajasthan government ‘illegally confined’ him to restrict his movements: The police stopped the Gujarat legislator outside the Jaipur airport for a few hours.
- Mehbooba Mufti thanks political leadership, signalling alliance is intact: Ministers who quit J&K Cabinet claimed BJP asked them to attend rally in support of Kathua accused.
- Special team investigating accident that killed Gopinath Pillai, petitioner in Ishrat Jahan case: The police said they have not found evidence suggesting foul play yet.
- Pravin Togadia quits VHP after his nominee loses election for president: He said he would go on a fast from April 17.
- India denounces use of force in Syria, asks all parties not to escalate tension: The UN Security Council rejected Russia’s resolution calling to have the US-led airstrikes near Damascus condemned.