The big news: Narendra Modi leads fourth International Yoga Day in Dehradun, and 9 other top stories
Other headlines: Donald Trump signed an order to stop family separations at US border, and a new Panama Papers leak linked more Indians to secret tax havens.
A look at the headlines right now:
- ‘From Dehradun to Dublin, there’s only yoga’, says Modi as he kicks off International Yoga Day in Uttarakhand: Several Union ministers are expected to mark the event in different parts of the country.
- Donald Trump signs executive order to stop migrant family separations: The president’s statement came after outrage over children being separated from their parents while illegally crossing the US border.
- New Panama Papers ‘leak’ includes 12,000 documents linking Indians to secret tax havens: The files show that Mossack Fonseca served a notice to actor Amitabh Bachchan, naming him as a director of a firm from which it threatened to resign as agent.
- One police officer killed, two injured in suspected militant attack in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pampore: This is the first attack since Governor’s rule was imposed in the state on Wednesday while General Bipin Rawat said Governor’s rule will not affect Army’s operations.
- Writer, doctor Atul Gawande made CEO of Amazon’s joint healthcare company: Amazon, Warren Buffet’s Berkshire Hathaway, and JP Morgan Chase had announced their healthcare venture in January.
- Chief Economic Advisor Arvind Subramanian quits, will return to US due to ‘family commitments’: Subramanian said his last date at the ministry has not been decided yet.
- Warrant for Vijay Mallya’s arrest issued by anti-money laundering court in Mumbai: Special Judge MS Azmi took note of the chargesheet filed by the Enforcement Directorate against Mallya for money laundering.
- Pakistan welcomes UN’s decision to investigate alleged human rights violations in Jammu and Kashmir: Pakistan’s permanent representative in the United Nations, Farukh Amil, also condemned the killing of Rising Kashmir editor Shujaat Bukhari.
- Bank of Maharashtra CEO, other top officials arrested in loan fraud case in Pune: Police said the bank officials colluded with DS Kulkarni Developers Ltd by sanctioning them money under the ‘garb of a loan’.
- Meghalaya Police back chief minister’s claim that violent protests in Shillong were ‘sponsored’: Conrad Sangma had claimed that alcohol and money were supplied to the protestors.