The Centre on Monday said 55 civilians and security personnel have been killed in alleged ceasefire violations along the Line of Control and in firing across the international border with Pakistan so far in 2018, PTI reported. The number of such alleged violations, as well the casualties they have caused, were higher than the numbers in the last three years.
Minister of State for Defence Subhash Bhamre gave the figures in response to a question in the Rajya Sabha. Of the 55 people who died this year, 28 were civilians and 15 were from the Indian Army, he said. The rest were personnel of the Border Security Force.
Pakistani security forces allegedly violated the ceasefire or fired across the international border at least 1,432 times till July 23 this year, Bhamre said. Of these, 942 were ceasefire violations along the Line of Control. The remaining were at the border till June.
In 2017, the number of deaths in such incidents was 31, while 26 each in 2015 and 2016, the minister said.