The Indian Army on Friday staged a flag march in Kishtwar town of Jammu and Kashmir, where suspected militants killed Bharatiya Janata Party Secretary Anil Parihar and his brother Ajeet Parihar on Thursday. Police are questioning two personal security officers who were assigned to Anil Parihar, and have set up a special investigation team to look into the attack, PTI reported.

A curfew imposed in the town on Thursday night is still in place, and additional security personnel have been deployed, District Magistrate Angrez Singh Rana told PTI. He said no untoward incidents had been reported. During Friday prayers, the imam of Kishtwar’s Jamia Masjid appealed to all Muslims to join the last rites of the two brothers, reported Greater Kashmir.

Kishtwar Senior Superintendent of Police Rajinder Gupta said the personal security officers Om Prakash and Sahil Kumar were being questioned. Gupta said the officials were not accompanying Parihar at the time of the attack. He said police has begun a search to apprehend the killers.

BJP workers in the area protested soon after the attack, and some people manhandled senior police officers, PTI reported. Rana said he called in the Army to control the internal security situation and to prevent violence. Authorities have suspended internet services in Jammu and Kishtwar following the incident, ANI reported. The curfew was also imposed in Doda and Bhadarwah towns of Jammu.

On Friday, Communist Party of India (Marxist) MLA from Kulgam, MY Tarigami, condemned the murders, calling them heinous and barbaric, PTI reported.

“We demand that perpetrators should be identified and brought to book,” Tarigami said. “Our state has always been an abode of communal harmony, rich traditions of brotherhood, which stood test of times even during the difficult phase of turmoil in the state. The attack is an attempt to disrepute the plural ethos of the state.”

Tarigami appealed to people not to allow “divisive elements” to take advantage of the incident.