At least eight persons died and nine others were injured after a fire broke out in a hospital in Madhya Pradesh’s Jabalpur on Monday, PTI reported.
The fire occurred at New Life Multi-Speciality Hospital near Damoh Naka area of the city, according to NDTV. Video footage from the site showed massive plumes of smoke emanating from the hospital building.
The fire started from a generator which is suspected to have undergone a voltage fluctuation. The hospital did not have a no-objection certificate for fire safety norms.
Four patients, three hospital staffers and one attendant were among those killed in the blaze, The Indian Express reported.
Chief Superintendent of Police Akhilesh Gaur said the fire was probably caused due to a short circuit.
“It was a massive fire,” he told ANI. “Our teams rescued all the people trapped inside the hospital.”
Two injured persons were in a critical condition and have been admitted to the intensive care unit of a government medical college in Jabalpur, District Collector Dr Ilayaraja T said, according to PTI.
He also said that the fire had been put out and all the patients and staff members were evacuated from the building. When the hospital caught fire, there were about 20 to 25 persons inside, he added.
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh said he has directed his chief secretary to follow the incident closely.
“Every effort is being made for relief and rescue,” Singh said. “I pray to God to give peace to the departed souls and courage to the bereaved family members.”
He also announced an ex-gratia compensation of Rs 5 lakh for the families of those who died, according to ANI. The CM will provide Rs 50,000 to injured persons.