A teenager who mowed down a man with his father's Mercedes in Delhi was charged with culpable homicide not amounting to murder on Saturday. Police said the charges were based on his past record of negligent driving. Investigation had found that this was not the juvenile's first instance of “rash and negligent driving”, Deputy Commissioner of Police (North) Madhur Verma said. The boy was issued challans thrice last year – twice for speeding and once for wrong parking, PTI reported. A Delhi police official said the last time someone was booked under culpable homicide for a similar crime was the Sanjeev Nanda BMW case 17 years ago.
The teenager turned 18 three days after the accident took place, and was counselled by the Juvenile Justice Board, NDTV reported. His businessman father was arrested by the Delhi Police on Friday for abetment to culpable homicide not amounting to murder. Verma said the father had taken no measures to stop his son from driving the car. “This is an act of criminal omission, thereby abetting the crime of the said juvenile,” he explained.
Siddharth Sharma, 35, was hit by the speeding Mercedes on Monday while trying to cross a road near Ludlow Castle School in Delhi's Civil Lines neighbourhood. The accused had been driving at a speed of at least 80 km per hour when the accident occurred. Sharma was flung several feet into the air after the crash and landed around 15 m away, reports said. The minor and other youths in the vehicle with him had fled the spot.