The big news: Centre allows farmers to buy seeds with demonetised notes, and 9 other top stories
Mining baron Janardhan Reddy’s offices were raided by income tax officials, and the Lodha panel has sought the dismissal of top BCCI officials.
A look at the headlines right now:
- Centre allows farmers to buy seeds with demonetised Rs 500 notes from government-run outlets: The Reserve Bank of India provided an extra 60-day period to repay housing, car, farm and other loans.
- I-T Department raids Janardhan Reddy’s offices days after his daughter’s Rs 500-crore wedding: Investigator’s are reportedly examining documents seized from the former Karnataka minister’s Bellary mining firm, following a complaint filed by an activist.
- Lodha panel seeks dismissal of top BCCI officials, GK Pillai’s appointment as an observer: The committee told the Supreme Court that the Union home secretary could oversee the board’s functioning.
- Pope Francis allows Catholic priests to forgive ‘grave sin’ of abortion beyond Year of Mercy: The pontiff, however, maintained that terminating a pregnancy was putting ‘an end to an innocent life’.
- IAF fighter jets land on Agra-Lucknow Expressway as Akhilesh Yadav inaugurates it: Mulayam Singh Yadav and uncle Shivpal Yadav were present at the launch of India’s longest expressway.
- Paytm achieves $5-billion mark of total sales, sets record of seven million daily transactions: Rival online wallet MobiKwik said it had witnessed a 400% increase in use in Gujarat alone, which accounts for 10% of its user base.
- More than 30 people killed in blast at Shia mosque in Kabul, Islamic State group claims responsibility: A suicide bomber had detonated an explosive device when a congregation had gathered for prayers, the police said.
- Rashtriya Lok Dal, JD(U) announce alliance with smaller local outfits ahead of Uttar Pradesh polls: The new followed Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav’s statement dismissing reports of any coalition before the Assembly elections.
- CBI obtains non-bailable warrant against Vijay Mallya, begins process to extradite him from UK: The order was issued by a special Mumbai court in connection with the case in which the businessman owes Rs 9,000 crore to 17 Indian banks.
- India beat England by 246 runs in second Test as spinners complete the job: The hosts went up 1-0 up in the five-match series.