A look at the headlines right now:
- All future elections will be held with new VVPAT machines, says Election Commission: The EC will allow all political parties to prove that EVMs in recent polls were tampered with, Naseem Zaidi said.
- I-T Department will investigate Sonia Gandhi and son Rahul, rules HC in National Herald case: The Delhi High Court was hearing a plea filed by the Gandhis against a Patiala House Court ruling that had earlier allowed the probe.
- Triple talaq is the worst way to dissolve a marriage, says SC: The court made the observation after advocate Salman Khurshid, who is arguing as an amicus curiae in the case, said triple talaq was optional for women.
- Pakistan’s failure to ‘curb support to anti-India militants’ harming bilateral ties, say US: National Intelligence Director Daniel Coats said Islamabad needs to check cross-border attacks by groups in the country ‘to renew official dialogue’ with Delhi.
- GM mustard a step closer to being India’s first genetically modified food crop: A regulator under the Environment Ministry has recommended approving the indigenous product for commercial cultivation.
- Brazil declares end of national Zika emergency after sharp decrease in cases: Only 7,911 people were diagnosed with the fever between January and April this year, as opposed to 1,70,535 during the same period last year.
- Hizbul, LeT militants allegedly behind soldier Ummer Fayaz’s killing in Kashmir’s Shopian: The police suspect he was shot dead with a rifle snatched from officers earlier this month.
- India objects to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau attending event to mark ‘Khalsa Day’: The celebrations included floats bearing the image of Jarnail Singh Bhidranwale and others who India regards as Khalistani terrorists.
- No permission to prosecute Yogi Adityanath for 2007 Gorakhpur riots, UP government tells HC: The chief secretary said that a forensic examination of the CD of the CM’s alleged hate speech was found to have been tampered with.