The big news: Karnataka floor test to be held at 4 pm on Saturday, and nine other top stories
Other headlines: The CIA got its first woman director, and a BSF soldier was killed and 4 civilians injured in alleged unprovoked firing in Kashmir.
A look at the headlines right now:
- Supreme Court orders floor test in Karnataka Assembly on Saturday at 4 pm: Justice AK Sikri asked when the Congress-JDS combine had provided a letter with proven majority, how did the governor opt Yeddyurappa over the alliance.
- US Senate confirms Gina Haspel as CIA’s first woman director: She faced opposition earlier because of her links to the agency’s brutal interrogation techniques.
- BSF soldier killed in Pakistan firing along International Border in Arnia: Four civilians were injured in the alleged heavy firing and unprovoked shelling of on Friday from the Pakistani side.
- Petrol, diesel prices increased for fifth time in as many days: Since June, the price of fuel in India has been revised almost daily in sync with fluctuations in the price of oil in international markets.
- At least two die after heavy rain in Hyderabad, over 100 trees uprooted: Many parts of the city were left without electricity as the storm brought down several electric poles.
- Uttar Pradesh asks former chief ministers like Mayawati, Mulayam Singh to vacate official bungalows: Besides them, Narayan Dutt Tiwari, Kalyan Singh, Akhilesh Yadav and Rajnath Singh also received notices.
- WHO calls for emergency meeting to discuss global risks of Ebola outbreak: Officials said there are 44 suspected, probable or confirmed cases of Ebola and that 23 people have died have died so far in Congo.
- China resumes sharing Brahmaputra water flow data with India, says report: They had stopped sharing information following a 74-day military standoff at Doklam.
- PM Modi will attend informal summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Sochi on May 21: Discussions might include sanctions imposed by the United States on Russia and Iran, and India’s defence ties with Russia.
- New eruption at Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano prompts evacuation, spews ash 30,000 feet into air: Officials have handed out around 18,000 masks to help residents deal with toxic sulphur dioxide gas.