The big news: Five people injured after overhead bridge collapses in Mumbai, and 9 other top stories
Other headlines: The Supreme Court said states are responsible for curbing cow vigilantism, and Kerala HC denied bail to priests booked on charges of rape.
A look at the headlines right now:
- Part of overhead bridge collapses at Mumbai’s Andheri station, five admitted to hospital: A BEST double-decker bus crashed into an overhead railing near Bandra as heavy rain continued in the city.
- States governments are responsible for curbing cow vigilantism, says Supreme Court: The court warned against linking mob violence with religion or caste and said ‘a victim is a victim’.
- Kerala High Court denies anticipatory bail to two priests booked on charges of rape, molestation: The High Court adjourned the hearing on their bail pleas to July 9.
- Unfortunate that Sushma Swaraj faced social media abuse, says Union minister Nitin Gadkari: The minister of road transport and highway said his Cabinet colleague’s decision to transfer the officer involved in the passport row was not wrong.
- SC pulls up West Bengal election panel for alleged malpractices during panchayat polls: The court asked the poll panel to submit a report by Wednesday on the number of seats that went uncontested in the violence-marred elections.
- Thailand boys trapped in flooded cave may have to spend months underground, say rescuers: Divers have warned that bringing them out would be risky as the caves are still flooded and more rain is expected in the coming days.
- Delhi High Court holds JNU Students Union guilty of contempt, fines office bearers Rs 2,000 each: Justice V Kameswar Rao said the students’ body had violated its order disallowing protests within 100 metres of the university’s administrative building.
- Maharashtra government relaxes curbs on retail plastic packaging: The relief comes with the condition that they ensure the packaging is more than 50 microns.
- NHRC asks Arunachal Pradesh government to pay Rs 5,000 each to 88 students who were forced to strip: Three teachers reportedly forced the students of a school in Papum Pare district to undress as a form of punishment in November.
- Pakistan is a hub of terrorism in South Asia and beyond, India says at UN: First Secretary in India’s Permanent Mission to the UN, Sandeep Kumar Bayyapu, accused Pakistan of attempting to spread a false narrative about Kashmir.