The big news: SC tells Parliament to consider framing law to stop lynchings, and 9 other top stories
Other headlines: Mayawati sacked a BSP leader for commenting on Rahul Gandhi, and the SC said it will strike down a law if it violates fundamental rights.
A look at the headlines right now:
- Supreme Court recommends new law to deal with mob lynching, says mobocracy cannot be allowed: The top court said no citizen should be allowed to take law into their hands and it was the duty of the state to ensure maintenance of law and order.
- Mayawati sacks BSP vice president for claiming Rahul Gandhi can’t be PM as his mother is a foreigner: Jai Prakash Singh also projected Mayawati as a prime ministerial candidate for the 2019 Lok Sabha elections.
- SC says it will strike down a law if it is convinced that it violates fundamental rights: While hearing the Section 377 matter, the bench said it will not leave the matter to legislature in response to an intervenor who said Parliament should decide the section’s constitutional validity.
- Centre orders inspection into all child care homes run by Missionaries of Charity: Union minister Maneka Gandhi asked all states to get child care institutions registered with the Central Adoption Resource Authority within a month.
- Supreme Court directs Centre to shortlist names for appointment as Lokpal: The bench said the selection committee will have to constitute a search committee which will lay down the norms and criteria for the selection of a Lokpal.
- International Monetary Fund lowers India’s growth projection to 7.3% in 2018: The growth rate projection is 0.1% less compared to the IMF’s projections in April due to higher oil prices.
- TRAI says telecom companies do not own consumer data, says a better protection framework is required: The telecom authority said that user awareness programmes about data protection and privacy are necessary.
- Yahoo Messenger shuts down after 20-year run: It was one of the first instant messaging apps, but it struggled to keep up with WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger.
- Veteran actor Rita Bhaduri dies at 62: She had been suffering from kidney-related ailments and had been in hospital for the past 10 days.
- Google celebrates 124th birthday of Belgian astronomer Georges Lemaître with a doodle: Lemaître was a Catholic priest who is believed to be the first to have theorised that the universe is expanding.