The big news: Modi claims Congress will not even get 50 seats in elections, and 9 other top stories
Other headlines: Arun Jaitley claimed the BJP may get more votes in the Lok Sabha polls than in 2014, and the SC refused to set aside a ban on the Modi biopic.
A look at the headlines right now:
- ‘Congress will get fewer than 50 seats,’ claims PM Narendra Modi in Mumbai: Earlier on Friday, he filed his nomination papers for re-election to Varanasi seat.
- Arun Jaitley claims BJP may secure more votes in 2019 elections than it did in 2014: The finance minister said in his blog that it seems the Congress has given up the fight.
- SC refuses to revoke EC ban on Modi biopic till the end of the elections: A Bench of Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi and Justices Deepak Gupta and Sanjiv Khanna said they will not interfere in the matter.
- AAP leader Atishi moves court against BJP opponent Gautam Gambhir, says he has two voter IDs: The Bharatiya Janata Party accused Aam Aadmi Party of ‘playing negative politics’.
- Naval officer dies in fire on board aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya: The Navy said the officer, who led the firefighting efforts, lost consciousness due to the smoke and fumes.
- Chandrababu Naidu claims Andhra Pradesh chief electoral officer is ‘exceeding jurisdiction’: Chief Electoral Officer Gopal Krishna Dwivedi said he was ‘strictly going by the book’ and implementing the chief election commissioner’s orders.
- Wife sent to 14-day judicial custody in Rohit Tiwari murder case: Apoorva Shukla was sent to jail after the police told the court that her custodial interrogation was not required.
- Nirav Modi’s bail plea rejected for third time, he will remain in UK jail till May 24: A hearing will be held via video link on May 24, and the diamond merchant will be produced in court in person on May 30.
- Weather department issues red alert for cyclone in Tamil Nadu on April 30, predicts rain in 24 hours: The red alert was also issued for Puducherry.
- Sri Lanka president, prime minister say they were not informed of intelligence on serial blasts: A curfew was imposed in three places in Ampara district on Friday after explosions were heard during a police raid and shootout at a suspected bomb factory.