Malayalam actor Dileep, accused of abducting and assaulting an actress in February, on Friday refused to become the president of a body of theatre owners, producers and distributors in Kerala, PTI reported. The actor was in judicial custody since July 10, and was released on bail on October 3.
A day after his release, the actor was re-elected the president of the Film Exhibitors United Organisation of Kerala, The News Minute reported. The actor had been removed from the post after his arrest. On Friday, in a letter to the general secretary of the body, the actor said,“I do not wish to take over as the president of FEUOK under the present circumstances,” but added he would continue as a member.
The sexual assault case
On February 17, a group of men had allegedly waylaid a woman actor’s vehicle in Ernakulam’s Angamaly. They were then said to have taken photos of her to blackmail her with as they assaulted her, and later fled with the car. Reports have said that Dileep had planned the attack on the woman as payback for a personal grudge. Several artists from the film industry have condemned him and have supported the woman actor.