The Kerala government on Monday told the High Court that Malayalam actor Dileep, who is accused of plotting an actress’ abduction and assault, was trying to delay trial proceedings, The Times of India reported. The government also told the court that it was considering the complainant’s plea to constitute a special court headed by a woman judge to hear the case.
Earlier this month, the Ernakulam Sessions Court turned down the complainant’s petition to transfer the case to a court headed by a female judge, citing the lack of women additional sessions judges in the district. She then moved High Court.
Dileep, who has sought a Central Bureau of Investigation inquiry, has alleged that he is being framed. He has accused the Kerala Police of being biased in its investigation.
The actress was allegedly abducted and sexually assaulted by a group of men on February 17, 2017, near Angamaly in Ernakulam. Dileep has been charged with planning the attack and hiring the group that carried it out, according to the police. A man called Pulsar Suni is the main accused in the case, while five others, including Dileep, have been named in the supplementary chargesheet filed by the Special Investigation Team looking into the case. Dileep’s former wife Manju Warrier and current wife Kavya Madhavan are among the 355 witnesses in the case.