The big news: DMK chief and ex-Tamil Nadu CM Karunanidhi dies at 94, and nine other top stories
Other headlines: The Supreme Court criticised the Bihar government for not inspecting shelter homes, and four Army personnel died in an encounter in Kashmir.
A look at the headlines right now:
- DMK President Karunanidhi dies at 94: The government has denied permission for his burial at the Marina beach. Several leaders paid their tributes to the five-time Tamil Nadu chief minister.
- Supreme Court criticises Bihar government for not inspecting Muzaffarpur shelter home: The court will hear the matter next on August 14.
- Four Army personnel, two suspected militants killed in encounter in Jammu and Kashmir’s Gurez: The police said the firing along the Line of Control started around 1 am.
- ‘We should hold both of you in contempt,’ SC tells Registrar General, state coordinator of NRC: Registrar General of India Shailesh and Assam National Register of Citizens coordinator Prateek Hajela had made comments about the draft to the media.
- Three new Supreme Court judges take oath, Justice KM Joseph sworn-in last: The Centre said it followed a ‘transparent seniority principle’ in elevating the three judges.
- Bangladesh High Court halts detention of photographer Shahidul Alam: The police had detained the Dhaka-based photographer on Sunday night for posts in support of the ongoing student protests in the city.
- Bombay HC asks Maratha community to refrain from violence and suicides during protests: The court also asked the Maharashtra government to file a fresh progress report detailing the backward classes commission’s work on the matter by September 10.
- ‘Respond to allegation of interference with media,’ journalists’ body tells Centre about ABP resignations: The Foundation for Media Professionals said it ‘deplored the manner’ in which three journalists were treated at the network.
- Former Malaysian PM Najib Razak to be charged with money laundering: He is scheduled to attend a pre-trial hearing in court on Wednesday.
- J&K Police book activist Talib Hussain, who led Kathua case protests, for allegedly attempting suicide: The Supreme Court said that on Wednesday it will hear a petition filed by one of Hussain’s relatives, who has accused the police of torturing the activist.