The big news: Kavinder Gupta takes oath as Jammu and Kashmir deputy CM, and nine other top stories
Other headlines: At least 25 people were killed in Kabul explosions, and a six-year-old girl died after she was allegedly raped in Odisha.
A look at the headlines right now:
- BJP’s Kavinder Gupta sworn in as Jammu and Kashmir deputy chief minister: Nirmal Singh resigned from the post a day before a Cabinet reshuffle.
- At least 25 killed, several injured in two back-to-back explosions in Kabul: An AFP photographer was among four journalists killed in the second blast.
- Six-year-old girl, who was allegedly raped in Odisha, dies after week-long struggle: She suffered a cardiac arrest, said the medical superintendent at Cuttack’s SCB Medical College and Hospital.
- UK home secretary Amber Rudd quits, says she inadvertently misled MPs about deportation targets: Shadow Home Secretary Diane Abbott alleged that Prime Minister Theresa May was the ‘architect of this crisis’.
- Candidates’ chests marked ‘SC’, ‘ST’, ‘OBC’ during exam for constable’s post, inquiry ordered: Officials said this might have been done to ensure compliance as medical eligibility criteria differ for candidates with caste.
- North Korea to reset its clocks to align with South Korea: The announcement followed the historic summit on April 29 during which the South Korean President and North’s leader Kim Jong Un agreed to end hostilities.
- Three CRPF personnel suspended after woman alleges one of them raped her in Jammu: The complainant lodged a police complaint on Saturday after a video of the incident was reportedly circulated on social media.
- Meerut man accused of cow slaughter, dies in custody, three police personnel booked for murder: The Gujjar community has threatened protests across Uttar Pradesh if authorities do not meet the demands of the man’s family.
- Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani says mythological sage Narad had as much information as Google: He was speaking at an event organised by the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh’s Vishwa Samvad Kendra in Ahmedabad.
- Assaulted for skinning a cow in 2016, Dalit family in Una converts to Buddhism: Days before the conversion, one of the accused attacked two of the family again and asked them to withdraw the case.