A look at the headlines in the sector:
- Reserve Bank of India keeps interest rates unchanged after policy meet: Markets fell sharply after the central bank’s announcement.
- Digital currency Bitcoin surges past the $12,000-mark: The cryptocurrency’s total market value now is about $203 billion – more than twice finance company Goldman Sachs’ market cap.
- European Union names 17 countries on its first tax haven blacklist: The list includes Bahrain, Panama, Saint Lucia, Barbados and South Korea, nations the bloc said did not cooperate with it in the crackdown on tax havens.
- Google withdraws YouTube from Amazon’s Echo Show and Fire TV devices: The tech giant is unhappy with the Jeff Bezos-led company for not consulting it before building a different version of the video app on both gadgets.
- Fitch withdraws Reliance Communications’ ratings: The company’s shares dropped by 7% after reports that a public relations firm had initiated insolvency proceedings against it surfaced.
- 21st Century Fox appoints Star India Chairperson and CEO Uday Shankar its Asia President: He will head the corporation’s video businesses across the region, including Star India and Fox Networks Group.
- Industry pushes for lower corporate tax in pre-Budget meet with Arun Jaitley: At the meeting, exporters called for quicker GST refunds.